Someone I know has to give an answer on a job opportunity today. It is their dream job, but it would require them to pack up their family and move. In their communication with me they worried that it might just be pride making them want to take the job and the humble thing to do might be to stay in their current job in their current community. I am in prayer for their decision. I am obviously not able to tell them what they should do. But I did tell them one thing I know. If they take the job, it is not because of their lack of humility.
Humility is the fountain through which a life of following Jesus flows. It takes humility to believe in a power greater than ourselves. It takes humility to admit you need a Savior. And it takes humility to follow Jesus. Yet, serving Him is a topsy turvy life.
- The first will be last. (Matthew 23:12)
- Whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 14:11)
- A man’s pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor. (Proverbs 29:23)
- He has brought down rulers from their thrones, but has exalted the humble. (Luke 1:52)
- Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will exalt you. (James 4:10)
It is good for my friend to wonder about his/her humility. It is a good thing for us all to keep a check on our humility, just as we check our fluid levels in our vehicles. I believe one of the most difficult things in Christianity is the ability to stay humble. Sometimes God really does exalt the humble and that makes it that much harder to maintain a healthy humility.
He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory, but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is a man of truth; in Him there is no falsehood. ~ John 7:18